By Jessica Kuiphoff, Candace Jongkind and Becca Kuehn, LaPorte High School students

Peter Scholl was born on Oct. 28, 1844, in Prussia, Germany. At the age of seven, he and his family moved to America. They settled on a farm in La Porte, Indiana, where his family was raised. They moved to Kankakee Township and operated a dairy farm.

Peter Scholl was enlisted in the 83rd Indiana regiment, Company D, in the Civil War. He was discharged in 1863. Peter Scholl married Emma Webber in 1871, and they had a son, Joseph. When Emma died, Peter married Mrs. Clara Hanna, and they had Barbara, Peter, William, and Frank. After Clara had died, Peter then had a third wife, Ella Luso, and they had John, Clara, Edward, George, Frederick and Herbert.

William Scholl, commonly known as Dr. Scholl, did not share the same aspirations as his farmer father. Instead, feet captivated Dr. Scholl. In World War I, the military was in search of a good work shoe for men in the service. Dr. Scholl, although never holding a doctorate, earned his nickname of Dr. Scholl by producing quality footwear for the military. Scholl’s creation provided him with a fair amount of money. Soon, however, the Depression hit in the 1930s, and Scholl directed his focus on the needs of LaPorte, Indiana, his hometown. Dr. Scholl bought land in order to sharecrop with other farmers in need. Two of these farmers were Mary and Joseph Tuholski.

Mary Pahs and Joseph Tuholski, married on April 27, 1946, were both born to small-town farm families. Mary was originally from Michigan City, where she lived on the Pahs family farm. Joseph, however, lived in LaPorte his entire life. The two wed in Michigan City and soon moved to LaPorte. In pursuit of farmland, the newlyweds sharecropped with Dr. William Scholl. Dr. Scholl eventually sold his four hundred acres of farmland to the Tuholskis on January 24, 1961.

As Joseph and Mary began to purchase land in LaPorte County, they founded Tuholski Farms Inc. on April 1, 1980. Their children, Bill, Larry, Barb, Dale, and Norman, were accustomed to life on the farm. From an early age, the children were expected to assist with daily farm work. Although difficult and monotonous, the chores taught the children the importance of hard work and provided them with a strong sense of dedication and commitment. The children were often rewarded at holidays for their devotion to the farm, since work was year-round and vacations were non-existent.

Family involvement on Tuholski Farms is still evident today. Because the farm is no longer a dairy farm, the family’s main focus is agriculture. The children and grandchildren of Joseph and Mary Tuholski are the farm’s primary employees. A conjoined effort between family members is crucial to the farm’s success.

The farm’s advancement in technology and equipment has progressed through the years and is still an ongoing process. Recently, the farm has taken a new approach in the production of crops in order to become more environmentally friendly. Instead of tilling the farmland in preparation for crops, the farm has acquired a no-till technique — the new crop is planted in the old crop’s remains. When not using the no-till method, the farm implements a mulch-tilled process. In 2008, Dale Tuholski was awarded the Conservation Farmer of the Year Award. This was the first year that a farmer from LaPorte had been presented with this prestigious state award.

JESSICA KUIPHOFF, CANDACE JONGKIND AND BECCA KUEHN are all students in LPHS teacher Greg Fruth’s Expository Writing class.

12 Responses to “How Dr. Scholl (yes, THAT Dr. Scholl) helped spawn the famous Tuholski Farms in LaPorte”

1. Mike Sitar

May 30. 2009

Once again (and as always) Mr. Fruth’s students do a great job. I hope our community fully appreciates what he does for our children.

2. Nick Borns

Apr 23. 2010

I just happened across your website while looking at a google map of LaPorte County. My effort to locate my grandfathers’ farm was fuitless as LaPorte has changed so much and I could not remember the directions from his town home at 602 E. Lincolnway to the farm. His name was John Scholl Sr. and he owned the Scholl Dairy in LaPorte and Michigan City. His brother was Dr. William Scholl, who I knew as “Uncle Doc”. I did not know about the sharecropper event and found it quite interesting. I think it is wonderful that teachers still get students interested in history, especially to see how one persons actions can have an effect on so many others later in time.

3. Gail Scholl Thornquist

Jul 04. 2010

Apparently we belong to the same family. I remember The Scholl Dairy from when I was a girl. When we visited Casa Del Lago we would have their milk and my sisters and I didn’t like it. Great Ice Cream tho. As a teen, my Dad Robert P. Scholl would have the trucks from the Arno factory bring him ice cream from the dairy to Chicago for us. Also remember our Great Grandmother. Our Grandmother (Elizabeth Scholl, Peter’s wife) would take us to La Porte to visit. They were good times.

4. Gail Scholl Thornquist

Aug 31. 2010

By the Way Nick, your Grandfather happend to be my godfather. He and Aunt Margaret always remembered my birthdays as I was growing up.

5. Nick Borns

Jan 18. 2011

Gail,

Should have come back to this site some time ago. I don’t remember Robert Scholl as we lived in Gary. My daughter and niece are interested in building up some family history. Perhaps we can communicate somehow and get more information on the Scholl side of the family. I also remember the Arno factory (arno tape). I presently live in Aberdeen, MD.

6. Dennis Scholl

Jul 27. 2011

Dr Scholl, my great uncle owned the Scholl dairy in both Laporte and Mich. City after his father died. John Scholl ran Laporte and my father George ran Michigan City in the 50s thru the 70s

7. Gail Scholl Thornquist

Aug 08. 2011

Nick I haven’t been back to the site either. Have your daughters check on Facebook Gail Scholl Thornquist One of my daughters was big into family history a few years back. We live in South FLorida.

8. Gail Scholl Thornquist

Oct 02. 2011

We sure were a large and diverse family. My Grandfather was Peter 3rd. He died when my dad Robert Peter Scholl was 12 and his sisters even younger. My grandmother was Elizabeth (Eliza). I remember the cousins from LaPorte a little. But then it was probably 60 years ago. Does anyone remember the bandaids that Scholl’s made? They were terrible and we used to sneak Johnsons and Johnson into the box because they would stick.
    But the Scholls we grew up with were Frank Sr. sons and daughter. They were my Dad’s cousins. Charles, Frank, Bill, Barbara and Allen.

9. Gail Scholl Thornquist

Aug 30. 2012

Hey Scholl Family, pull up Casa Del Lago Long Beach Indiana. Go to the site that says Long Beach Vacation Rentals 280′ Lake Front.
    It has pictures showing the remodeled House. Still recognize the rooms however and last time I was there was 1956. Does anyone remember the picture over the fireplace with the eyes that followed you all over?

10. Eric F. Scholl

Jan 21. 2013

Hello all –
    While doing an update on Scholl family history, I ran across this website.
    Wow – a lot of Scholl’s posting here!
    Not sure if anyone is using Ancestry.com but it so, check out my site and see if you have any information that could augment our family history!
    Thanks!

11. Nick Borns

Sep 05. 2013

Hello all, especially Eric and Gail. I do have an Ancestry.com account and have some things on it, mostly for the Borns family. I will try to get to your site. In the meantime, my email is nfborns@gmail.com. I have also found some photos that may have some common ancestors when my siblings and I went through stuff from our mother. I think it would be great to trade some stories. I do remember Uncle Frank. He had jackasses and mules, as I recall. We would ride over from Grandpas’ farm (John Scholl, Far-A-Way farm) on his horses. My mom has passed, but her brother (my uncle Johnny) lives in Georgia with one of his daughters. Maybe after I check out your site and Casa del Lago, we can communicate more frequently.

12. John (Jack) Borns

Sep 05. 2013

Nick, the correct address was 608 E. Lincoln Way and the farm was 9 miles East of LaPorte and about a mile East of the Oak Grove Cemetary (which a long time ago was the location of a one room school house). John Duda or his son still live just before the turn off to the farm lane. I don’t know who owns it now but it used to be Jimmy Depoi.