JASON TIBBS OF LAPORTE CHARGED WITH 1993 MURDER OF RAYNA RISON

TIBBS (Sept. 23. 2013, LaPorte County Jail mugshot)

TIBBS (Sept. 23. 2013, LaPorte County Jail mugshot)

UPDATE: COURT ORDER REVEALS DETAILS OF TIBBS’ ALLEGED INVOLVEMENT (CLICK ON LINK, THEN SCROLL DOWN IN DOCUMENT):

NWI TIMES UPDATE: Rayna and Tibbs dated; inmate gave authorities details of murder:

UPDATE 1 P.M. AUG. 23: The official charges against Tibbs are murder and non-negligent manslaughter (the latter defined as the willful killing of a human being). According to the LaPorte County Jail website, he is scheduled for a hearing Sept. 13 in LaPorte Circuit Court.

UPDATE 10:45 A.M. AUG. 23: Tibbs has been arrested at least eight times in the past for other crimes, according to information on the Just Mugshots website. 1994, 1995 and 1996, driving while suspended; 1994 failure to appear; 2001 theft; 2003 receiving stolen property; 2009 theft.

Police have arrested Jason L. Tibbs, 38, of LaPorte, for the 1993 murder of LaPorte teen Rayna Rison. He was arrested during an Aug. 23, 2013, morning traffic stop and is being held in LaPorte County Jail with no bond. Here is the press release issued Aug. 23, 2013, by LaPorte Police:

On August 23, 2013, Jason L. Tibbs, 38 years old, of LaPorte, IN, was arrested by the Indiana State Police and LaPorte Police Dept. for the murder of Rayna Rison. Indiana State Police Detective 1st Sgt. Al Williamson and LaPorte Police Detective Brett Airy have continued the investigation into the Rayna Rison homicide for over the past five years resulting in this arrest.

Rayna Rison

Rayna Rison

Rayna Rison, age 16, was reported missing by her father, Ben Rison, on March 26, 1993, after she did not return home from work, being the Pine Lake Animal Hospital. Rayna’s disappearance received national coverage and was aired on America’s Most Wanted on April 2, 1993. Rayna’s body was later recovered on April 27, 1993, from a pond near Range Road in LaPorte County. Rayna’s death was ruled a homicide after an autopsy was completed and has remained unsolved for over twenty years.

This is an ongoing investigation; anyone who may have information on this case, please contact Det. Sgt. Williamson at 1-800-552-8917 or Det. Airy at 219-362-9446 ext 210.

27 Responses to “JASON TIBBS OF LAPORTE CHARGED WITH 1993 MURDER OF RAYNA RISON”

1. Marcia Johnson

Aug 23. 2013

Congratulations to Brett Airy and the others for the arrest and possible conviction for the murder of Rayna Rison.

2. Penny Hall

Aug 23. 2013

My prayers go out to her family and friends finally justice for this beautiful young woman finally

3. cindy

Aug 23. 2013

People like him should be immediately put to sleep. If he was a dog and hurt or killed someone he’d be DEAD MEAT!!

4. Jean Martin

Aug 23. 2013

Wow….he was 18 when this happened….

5. Diane

Aug 23. 2013

Thank God and the ISP & LP police for solving this horrible crime. Hopefully some peace will be granted to Rayna’s loving family.

6. Mrs. President

Aug 23. 2013

I sincerely hope Law Enforcement has the right guy this time. This case seems to have been a disaster from the very beginning. It seems nobody knows what is really going on.

7. Mrs Smith

Aug 23. 2013

I hope that they have solid evidence that this guy did this. I would hate for the family’s emotions to played with yet again. I sincerely hope that the family can find closure and peace in knowing there may finally be justice for Rayna.

8. billie thresh womack

Aug 23. 2013

Bennie and family I hope this is for real because Rayna deserves to really have peace and so do your family he deserves to be sent away for a long time

9. RKS

Aug 23. 2013

Wow, My son was in first grade when this happened. Her mom was the asst. in his classroom. This is awesome to hear.

10. Tammy

Aug 23. 2013

One of the comments states Wow he was only 18 when this happend. She was only 16 and was a beautiful, smart and sweet young woman. She had only begun and would have gone so far. She did not deserve this and neither did her family. I hope this is the right person and that Rayna and her family can finally have some peace.

11. Betty Sales

Aug 23. 2013

I hope they can make the charges stick, may her and her family have peace now

12. Concerned

Aug 23. 2013

Immediately you jump to he is guilty. I think you all should wait until the trial as he also has a family to think about. As sad as it is that anyone lost a life I hope that the truth does finally come out but remember Due Process and that someone is innocent until found guilt.

And above they say he has been “arrested 8 times” but doesnt say he has ever been convicted. Do not jump to conclusions until the evidence itself has been released.

• Karin (Rison)Phillips Ahrman

Aug 24. 2013

There is an eyewitness to this vile crime. Did anyone on here notice that! Finally the truth has come out. How the other people involved lived with this for so long without telling is a mystery to me. I hope it haunted their lives and dreams every day. I just want to thank Indiana State Police Detective 1st Sgt. Al Williamson and LaPorte Police Detective Brett Airy for their diligence in solving this case. It has been a long and awful time for the family, Bennie and Karin. Fingers were pointed at many of the wrong people, but now, finally the truth! Thank you God for seeing this come to an end while her parents were still alive to have the closure they so deserve. Not that closure is really any comfort, but knowing he will be locked up and possibly given death, is some satisfaction for our family.

• nice witnesses

Aug 26. 2013

One of those witness is locked up in prison for a violent murder that he commited in LaPorte.. dont think that he is such a great witness or person for that matter. Until the courts deem him guilty he is still innocent of all charges.. I hope that Raynas family gets the justice and the answers that they deserve but this man deserves a fair trial just like everyone else.

13. WOW

Aug 23. 2013

This guy used to come into my work all the time…scary.

14. Close Enough

Aug 23. 2013

Concerned, he’s innocent in the eyes of the law until proven guilty. There’s a big difference between legally innocent and factually innocent. Michael Jackson was legally innocent, but I doubt you would’ve sent your kid to a sleepover at Neverland Ranch.

15. Cowgirl

Aug 23. 2013

So happy to hear there has been an arrest in this case,Been praying this case would get solved even put up a forum on Websleuth’s to get this case out there.No parent should have to wait this long to know who and why someone to their child from them.Now hope they solve Linda Weldy’s case.

16. Jamie

Aug 24. 2013

The court documents said a witness saw him do it. I think it’s a pretty solid case this time. I just wish the people would have come forward sooner.

17. Laura

Aug 24. 2013

BRAVO to “What’s New La Porte” for excellent reporting and coverage to the citizens of La Porte and for that matter the State of Indiana on this ongoing “cold case.” You are to be applauded!

18. Nana

Aug 24. 2013

I hope this will be a solid case….When I was at the cemetery years ago I use to always see her father at her grave site and it just broke my heart…Day after day as I drove past the cemetery her father was always there in the morning….

19. Jules

Aug 24. 2013

I hope this revealation brings peace to a family who needs answers. It makes me ill that that we applaud the individual, Rickey Hammonds, whom murdered my brother. Above all, I am happy that some sort of justice has been served, especially for the Rison family. I hope everyone can rest better from now on…
    Jules

20. Norm

Aug 25. 2013

Hope they r right Jason wasn’t that smart and I don’t think he could of kept his mouth shut this long we will all see

21. Carol Grott

Aug 25. 2013

Let us not forget the McCarty family and what they have gone though.

22. Carol Grott

Aug 25. 2013

My heart goes out to the Rison family as well. Sorry, I thought that was added on my other Comment.

23. SAT

Aug 26. 2013

Now they need to find out what happened to Linda Weldy the 10 year old girl abducted from her bus stop on McClung Rd. in 1987 and murdered. Her older brother was a friend of mine.

24. RJ

Aug 28. 2013

I have known Jason for a very long time, and find it hard to believe he would do something like this. He is a wonderful and loving husband and father. My heart goes out to his family. I knew Freeman and Hammons as well, would not trust them at all. Rayna was a wonderful young lady. I hope that the truth comes out in this case and justice is served where properly due.