Barbara Hannon, 1929-2013

img001Barbara A. (Spencer) Hannon, 83, of LaPorte, died at 7:22 p.m. June 13, 2013, at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

She was born Nov. 10, 1929, in LaPorte to George and Dorothy (Kistler) Spencer.

Barbara was especially proud of being a farmer and was an advocate for preserving farmland. She attended Purdue University, attained a master’s degree in elementary education and taught at Westville for nearly 20 years. While teaching elementary, she also coached high school girls basketball. She loved watching sports, gardening, baking, painting, and staying connected to her family. She volunteered on the board for the Westville Public Library and was an avid reader. Her talent for baking (especially apple slices) was well known in the community. She also frequently hand-painted greeting cards and wrote personal notes to family and friends. She was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Otis, IN. Barbara was a well loved and respected wife, mother, sister, grandmother and friend. She was a dedicated member of the community and contributed as an educator, mentor, coach, advocate, confidant, and role model.

On Jan. 2, 1950, at St. Peter Catholic Church in LaPorte, she married Bernard J. “Barney” Hannon, who preceded her in death on Jan. 17, 2006.

Her parents also preceded her in death.

She leaves behind four daughters, Christine Hannon, Lou Ann Robinson, Joyce (Dr. Tim) Kistler and Janet (Harold) Qualkinbush, all of Indianapolis; two sons, Mark Hannon and Shawn (Julie) Hannon, both of LaPorte; 12 grandchildren; two great-grandsons; two sisters, Carol (Erik) Riise of Hobart, IN, and Nancy Bohlin of LaPorte; two brothers, Bob (Pauline) Spencer of LaPorte and Bill (Sharen) Spencer of Lowell, IN; and several nieces and nephews.

A memorial Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, June 21, at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Otis, with Rev. Jerry Schweitzer officiating. Visitation will be at Essling Funeral Home, LaPorte, on Thursday, June 20, from 3 to 7 p.m. and at the church on Friday from 10 a.m. until the service. Burial will be in Pinhook Cemetery following the Mass.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. Mary Catholic Church, 101 N. Church St., Otis, IN 46391; or Pinhook Methodist Church, c/o Phyllis Marks, 7353 W. Ind. 2, LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP, as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

22 Responses to “Barbara Hannon, 1929-2013”

1. Bruce E. Rogers

Jun 16. 2013

My heart felt condolences prayers and sympathy to the family. Rest in peace Mrs. Hannon

2. james swistek

Jun 16. 2013

What a great teacher. One who I can say I fondly remember. Barney was our bus driver. They were good people.

3. Sarah Sebert Klosinski

Jun 16. 2013

BARB WAS A AWESOME TEACHER,A WONDERFUL lady,and a very good person ! She will be dearly missed but we all will have our special memories of her ! R.I.P. Mrs. Hannon

4. eileen kennoy matzke

Jun 16. 2013

So sad to hear this.. Lots of memories of her and barney from my childhood school days… I ran into her in laporte maybe five years ago and right away she knew I was.. Wonderful lady she will be missed. Prayers to her family.

5. Scott Sebert

Jun 17. 2013

Oh how I remember Barney & Barb way back when when I was in High School . Barb will be Greatly Missed and my Condolences to the rest of the Family

6. Thurman(Koebcke)

Jun 17. 2013

My prayers to her family. Mrs Hannon was a wonderful teacher. So sad to hear of her passing. Great memories of her. Specially how she loved to have her class sing the BOLOGNA song as we returned from recess. God Bless.

• Kelsey Hannon

Jun 22. 2013

Hi! I’m Barb’s granddaughter. Could you write out the bologna song for us? The family is curious! Thanks for sharing your fond memories.

7. Sean Funkhouser

Jun 17. 2013

Thank you for dedicating yourself to teaching us and for sharing so many gifts with everyone around you. Also for teaching us to stand up and clap every time another teacher or adult walked into your classroom. It’s comical now looking back.
    Former 4th grade student

8. Priscilla Sebert

Jun 17. 2013

Barb was such an awesome person,I have very fond memories of working with her at John coulters greenhouse a few years back.Also,of just seeing her in town and stopping and talking to her.She will be missed by everyone who knew and loved her.Rest in peace,Barb;now you and Barney are together again!

9. Judy Perkins

Jun 17. 2013

Barb was a true blessing from above. She gave so much of herself to others. I wll miss our conversations on life, love and children. My prayers go out to her family during this time of grief. R.I.P. Barb. You will be truly missed.

10. Maureen Bryant

Jun 17. 2013

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family. She will be greatly missed.

11. Wendy Schott

Jun 17. 2013

What a wonderful women and role model! She will be dearly missed! By far one of my favorite teachers! My thoughts are with her family and the entire community that she touched.

12. Kathleen & Frank St. John

Jun 17. 2013

Jan, we are so sorry for your loss. Her obituary, along with the comments, really show what a remarkable person she was. How lucky she was to have the love and respect from the community in which she lived,

Harold, I know you loved your mother-in-law too. And Katie, I saw how you loved your grandmother at your wedding last summer.

I’m sorry for you and the rest of Jan’s family.

Love,

13. Pootsie

Jun 17. 2013

What a gift Barb was to those of us whose lives she touched. Her loving mentoring and gentle guidance had a tremendous affect on the 4th graders that she taught at Westville School. She was well respected and admired by students, parents and co-workers. I feel so blessed to have known her and to be considered her friend. I treasure the many memories of our times together. My sympathy goes to the family, especially her children, of whom she was so proud.

14. Melissa Jefferson

Jun 17. 2013

What a wonderful teacher! She touched the lives of so many students passing through her classroom. She was one of the reasons I became a teacher. Mrs. Hannon was an amazing woman. My thoughts are with her family! A former fourth grade student.

15. Merry Lusco FergusonMerr

Jun 17. 2013

Mrs. Hannon made a huge impact in many lives including mine. I adored her and Barney. I always will remember her calling role and she always called me by my nickname in class. I have been gone from Indiana for many years but have thought of her often throughout the years and what an awesome person she is. She will be missed.

16. Dave Carson

Jun 17. 2013

Mom was always there for us when we needed her most. And that was often! Great Lady and fond memories of her and her daughters! So sorry for your loss yet we know Barney is happy now. Together again…..

17. Stephanie Nordyke

Jun 18. 2013

I did not have her as a fourth grade teacher except for reading. I also remember her for learning to spell bologna. I pass her house daily on my way to work and thought of her. She will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

18. Tina Jager-Kuckson

Jun 18. 2013

Mrs.Hannon was a wonderful teacher. She made school and class time so fun. I loved that every time she walked into the class you had to sing her favorite song” the bologna song” . She made such a lasting impression on so many kids/people in her life time. She will always be loved, and never forgotten. R.I.P Mrs.Hannon

19. Laura Fagg Lehner

Jun 21. 2013

My minister at my church just this past Sunday had us all think about the people that had inspired us and that we learned a lot from. Mrs. Hannon was one of those people in my life. She was my basketball coach for 4 yrs. in high school. She taught me how to work hard, play as a team member, to have good sportsmanship, and most of all to have fun while working hard. She was a dear lady who touched many. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

20. Mary Ellen Jefferson

Jun 22. 2013

I am mom to Melissa Jefferson and Stephanie Jefferson Nordyke and Devin Jefferson who were each influenced positively by Mrs. Hannon, their teacher. And she has been remembered fondly through the years in many conversations. Although now my grandchildren think of me as the grammar police, she was the original grammar police and taught my children well. I also remember Barney, as he came up and gave me a hug one day at the grocery store, but I didn’t know him then, and he realized quickly I wasn’t who he thought I was – my sister – who did ride his bus. Always a funny memory for me!! May Mrs. Hannon’s family find her memories always bring them comfort and smiles. She truly made a difference in the lives of others.

21. Tim Shebel

Oct 18. 2013

I am sorry to hear of your Mom’s passing. Please accept my sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathy. Mrs. Hannon was always kind to me, wrote me encouraging letters when I was in college, and helped me get my first teaching job. Just a really nice lady. I respected her greatly. Tim Shebel