Wartime kitchen appliance made in MC, violin made in LP and more donated to museum in October 2010

Dwyer SinkStove

This 1940s combination kitchen unit was made by Dwyer Products Corporation in Michigan City. It was called a "Murphy-Cabranette," combining a small sink, cooktop with two electric burners, and electric refrigerator in one cabinet. These were used when people with large houses split them up into apartments, which was a common practice during wartime when increased workforces at local factories and the Kingsbury Ordnance Plant created a heavy demand for housing. The unit was donated by Dorothy Palmer. (Click to enlarge)

   Visitors registering at the LaPorte County Historical Society Museum during the month of October 2010 totaled 738, coming from 10 Indiana counties, 16 states and the United Kingdom. Groups visiting the museum included Leadership LaPorte County, Sacred Heart Apostolic School and Renaissance Academy.

Donations in October:

   — “Do Not Disturb” sign from Hotel Rumely, B.L. Daniels

   — Elstonian yearbooks, Kathy Vandestowe

   — Book “Quilt Masterpieces,” Susie Richter

   — 1943 wedding dress of Ruth Wooden, bonnets, 1911 wedding shoes, Oberreich & Arnold porcelain plate, U.S. Berkel oil can, 1948 health booklet from LaPorte Public Schools, assorted archival items, and written history of 1702 Indiana Ave., Jan Wooden

   — 1940s kitchen combination stove, refrigerator and sink unit made by Dwyer Products in Michigan City, Dorothy Palmer

   — Two ocarinas, early musical instruments, collected by Charles Pahrman, Mark Snyder

   — Two 1967 Boy Scout patches, Joyce Cook

   — Advertising items, Karen Piper

   — 1924 violin made in LaPorte by Carl G. Ellis, played by the donor’s mother Roberta Barlag, Scott Barlag

   — Corporate seal presses for several LaPorte companies, LaPorte Little Theatre programs, scripts, and photographs, memorabilia from Jacob Levine, Maurice Levine

   — Indiana Post Office histories, V.A. Ross

   — Photographs of 1201 Jefferson Ave., home of the Steigley family, Miriam Sommer

   — Copies of book “Ghost Train” for museum gift shop, Richard Parrette

   — Pumpkins for museum decorations, John Coulter Farms

   — Cornstalks for museum decorations, Norm and Sharon Grieger

   — Moving service for kitchen sink unit listed above, Tonn & Blank

   — Postal memorabilia, Bernice Loomis

   — Archival items, Herman Koch

   — Books and magazines for the sale table, Susan Shuttleworth, Fern Schultz, Karen Piper, Alan and Bonnie Zeller, Marilyn Poag, Dick and Jean Bauer, and Arnold and Barbara Bass

Submitted by James Rodgers, museum curator

www.laportecountyhistory.org

No comments.

Leave a Reply